Wind Back Time
Rover P6B S 1973
Call Us On
Share With Friends
""I have just sold a vehicle to Jesmond and throughout the deal found him and his company very easy to deal with. I found him to be totally honest and fair with a genuine affection for old cars. Such things are rare in business today. The money was in my account the same day. All in all a friendly and hassle free deal and I would have no hesitation in dealing with Jesmond again and can highly recommend him. I wish Jesmond every success for the future.""John, Nelson, New Zealand
The P6 was a radical new product for its maker - and proof it was trying to move away from the 'Auntie' image that it had been landed with over the last couple of decades.
It had styling that was influenced by the Citroen DS, and possessed a skeleton structure and modern styling that really were a million miles away from the P4, which was still in production when the P6 was launched.
The company gambled that it would appeal to traditionally conservative Rover customers, as well as attracting new ones. The bid worked, and the P6 went on to become a huge commercial success, carving out the executive sector alongside the Triumph 2000 for itself. Constantly updated throughout its life, with 2.2-litre engines and twin-carb updates.
Although the Rover 2000 was capable, in no way could it be described as quick. Yet with the installation of the ex-Buick V8 it became Rover's first Q-car, offering Jaguar-matching pace.
The P6B caught on rapidly, selling in huge numbers and becoming a favourite with lawbreakers - and enforcers. It was initially offered only as an automatic, in 1971, the 3500S was introduced, featuring a four-speed gearbox.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- Chassis #:48200599C
- NZ New
- Very straight, rust free body with good mostly original paint
- Nice Original interior
- Mechanically sound, good motor, good transmission.
- Good tires all round.
- Comes with extremely rare and expensive to buy 14” factory Rostyle wheels
- Awesome to drive
- One interesting feature on this car is the spare wheel on top of the boot lid to free up space for luggage. I think it looks good, and it doesn't have a negative impact on rearward visibility.
- Comfort is what the P6 is all about. The seats were something else for their day, with backs and squabs infinitely adjustable. They also give a formidable nine inches of fore and aft movement which, coupled with a steering column that can be raised or lowered, ensures that drivers of all sizes should be able to get comfy.
- The V8 engine has pulling power to spare and can hold first until 30mph, second until 55mph and third all the way up to 85mph.
- These V8s can easily hold their own against a modern car and the 3500S is still a quick car by today's standards.
- Quality suspension in an era where lever-arm dampers, leaf springs, drum brakes and cross-ply tyres dominated; the P6 was streets ahead with its de Dion rear axle, inboard disc brakes and radial tyres.
- The P6 was and remains a supremely safe handler and, with all round discs, an extremely safe classic to travel in. It can cruise with the flow and is pleasing to drive.
- Finally, if you do intend to use this P6 every day, you can be comforted in the knowledge that its in-built safety aspects were way ahead of the contemporary competition of its time and its still pretty handy nowadays.
Sometimes it takes just one car to change the public's perception of the manufacturer. With Rover it was the P6 that transformed the company's cosy ‘old auntie' image into the BMW of its day.
This is a greatly overlooked classic car and today remains one of the most usable and affordable classic saloons you can buy.
Will be sold WOF'd and Registered if sold in New Zealand.
TRANSPORT / WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at email@example.com anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.