1974 MG BGT V8
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"I have purchased many vehicles over the years, but never have I been treated as a friend rather than just another customer like Jesmond treated me on purchasing my classic car. A good honest chap with no pressure to buy, and quality classic vehicles that have been thoroughly vetted by himself before he even considers adding them to his vast inventory. If you are considering purchasing a classic car as an investment ,you can't go wrong with Jesmond and Gloria. Another satisfied customer"Steve, Auckland, New Zealand
MG V-8's can be divided into two distinct categories, the factory cars, which were built from 1973 – 76, and the more numerous “conversions” which have transplanted V-8 engines.
During the period from 1973 to 1976, almost 2,600 MGB/GT V-8's rolled out of the Abingdon plant. The cars were powered by the Rover 3.5 liter aluminum V-8, which was a descendant of the Buick/Olds 215 engine. A specially designed four-speed MG transmission was used, with Laycock overdrive fitted as standard equipment. The rear end gearing was changed from the MGB's 3.9:1 to a lower 3.07:1 which could take advantage of the V-8's torque while delivering much improved highway cruising RPMs and gas mileage.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- Well maintained car by British Car & MG specialists – various service records and maintenance history available with car.
- Original Driver's handbook, MGB parts book and various MG V8 Register workshop notebooks available with car.
- This is a FACTORY V8, MATCHING NUMBERS car - in simple words - THE REAL McCOY!
- Wheels exclusive to the V8 model - pretty much new tires.
- Engine and transmission have both been stripped down and fully rebuilt (circa 1990). In the case of the engine, this rebuilt involved new cam followers (hydraulic tappets), a new camshaft as well as the usual new rings etc. The valves did not need any attention to them at the time and similarly the big ends were found to be in perfect condition. Engine is set up to run on lead free petrol without additive.
- Recent mechanical work include New clutch and new radiator. Also recently serviced.
- The gearbox was rebuilt to racing standards by Victor Young, formerly of the Competition Department of MG. All of the gears, lay-shaft synchromeshs etc have been renewed as well as some racing modifications. The 1st and 2nd gears have been internally machined to accept a double set of needle roller bearings thus enabling the lay-shafts to take the added torque of the V8 engine.
- Tuned tubular exhausts manifolds have been fitted giving an extra 4-5 brake horse power.
- The carburetors were rebuilt with all new needles etc.
- Rear leaf springs were renewed. All engine and suspension mounts were renewed with updated mounts where necessary.
- All hollow body sections were injected with Waxoyl, a proprietry substance with rust inhibiting properties.
- Similarly, all exposed body work, wheel arches, cross members etc were repainted in Hammerite, another rust proofing paint.
- The interior likewise was rustproofed before fitting the new seats, which are a special seat developed by Sprite, Midget and MGB, C, V8 Centre so the seats are very well regarded as an improvement on the original.
- The carpets and other interior trim was all newly fitted at the time of restoration.
- The wheels are standard V8 wheels painted in rust proofing Hammerite, as the centers are alloy but the rims are bolt on wheels. Recently painted.
- The paint was first ten coats of high build primer followed by thirteen coats of the best quality cellulose lacquer, rubbed down between coats. The colour is British Leyland Glacier White (Blue Shade). Repainted recently.
- The front cross member was dropped and rebuilt with regards to mounts, anti roll bar, king pins etc. This was also rust proofed.
- Comes with Webasto Sunroof - A very comfortable system that brings fresh air, light and a panorama view.
- Car was valued by Colin Campbell Motors of Hastings on the 26th January 1990 at $35K. Cars like this sell today at US$50K+ in the US and close to GBP40K in the UK. At the advertised price, when considering its rarity, overall condition, and appreciation in the last 25 years, this car is extremely well priced.
With the exception of a few roadster prototypes, all of the V-8s were the hardtop GT model. Most of the factory V-8's, like this one, were consumed by the UK market with some going to Europe and Australia. There are currently about 18 factory V-8's in the U.S. They are highly priced and almost never available for sale.
So what we bring you here is a rare car in very nice condition. Wonderful and Powerful, these cars are an absolute thrill to drive. HIGHLY COLLECTIBLE!
Car will be sold WOF'd and Registered if sold in New Zealand.
TRANSPORT / WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.