Wind Back Time
Chevrolet Corvair 1965
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"Having bought this car site unseen, it was exactly to the standard described. Jesmond even went as far to see to all any repairs it required prior to me collecting it. He never cut corners. I can only say that it was a very good experience dealing with Jesmond. Very honest and reliable people whom I would recommend to others."Brian Robinson, Palmerston North - New Zealand
The Corvair is a cool American sports car with a very un-American design. After five years of production, Chevy stopped trying to sell the Corvair as an American Volkswagen, and realized that with a few tweaks, what they really had was a U.S. Porsche. To this end, the performance-oriented Corsa hardtops and convertibles were introduced with 1965's restyling. Further, advertising that linked the Corvair to the Corvette meant a new cadre of performance-minded owners discovered that this radical (for Detroit) smaller car had superior handling to your typical Chevrolet.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- The Corvair was initiated by – and was largely the product of Chevrolet's chief engineer, Edward Cole. Predictably, the Corvair was indeed a technician's car, perhaps inspired by Cole's interest in aviation, but more likely the increasingly popular VW Beetle and the newly released Porsche 911. Over time, Chevrolet ditched the Corvair's swing axle and added some zest to its performance capabilities with the addition of a turbocharger, which brings us to this car, launched in 1965 as a Special Edition Corvair Corsa Turbo, boasting a 180bhp flat-six, turbo charged engine with four single barrel carburettors and a four speed cog box.
- This Special Edition Corsa also received a beefed up differential ring gear, a Delcotron alternator (replacing the original generator), not to mention the significant chassis refinements – the Special Purpose Chassis Equipment (Z17) handling package that consisted of a special performance suspension and a faster steering ratio.
- This car is extremely well documented, having appeared in many books such as ‘Automobiles of the 60's' ,‘Chevrolet, The Complete History', and The Complete Book of Collectible Cars'.
- Beautiful example of this model. Straight Body. Lovely paintwork. Very Original Interior.
- Mileage believed to be authentic
- Car was imported from New Jersey and was first registered in New Zealand in 2014.
A lovely classic car – a bit different, rare and fun to drive, the Corvair always had a cult following, no matter the year or model. With their unusually clever design and engineering, Corvairs have always appealed to a free-thinking, passionate fan base. And while it's never had the mass popularity of a contemporary Mustang, the Corsa remains in demand as the second-generation Corvair's flagship. While a quad-carbureted 140-hp engine version was the mainstream choice, the ultimate one to have remains the complex-but-thrilling 180-hp turbocharged Corsa (this car), and this is reflected in its monetary premium.
PRICE FIRM. Car will be sold WOF'd and Registered.
SHIPPING / LOCAL TRANSPORT CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is BY APPOINTMENT Only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at email@example.com anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.