Wind Back Time
Bentley R Type 1953
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"We brought a Vauxhall off Jesmond a few weeks ago. We never sighted the vehicle owing to us living in the north island. We had to rely on Jesmond's description and honesty.After we brought it, it arrived at our house in Tauranga a few days later in the condition described. Since then we have had it at several club runs and a trip to Auckland. It gets a lot of admiration wherever it goes and is very reliable and a pleasure to drive. Thank you for the gift that was in the car."Willy & Jan Whittingham, Tauranga, New Zealand
The 1953 R Type Bentley – sister to the Rolls Royce Silver Dawn.
The R Type is the second series of post war Bentley automobiles, replacing the mark VI. Essentially a larger-boot version of the Mk VI, the R type is regarded by some as a stop-gap before the introduction of the S series cars in 1955. As with its predecessor, a standard body was available as well as coach built versions by firms including H.J. Mulliner & Co, Park Ward, Harold Radford, Freestone & Webb and others.
Other than the radiator grilles and the carburation there was little difference between the standard Bentley R Type and the Rolls-Royce Silver Dawn. The R Type was the more popular marque, with some 2,500 units manufactured during its run to the Silver Dawn's 760.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- Chassis #: B2255P
- Engine #: B181P
- 4566cc straight six engine
- Compression ratio 6.4 to 1 Twin SU carburettors
- O/H Inlet and side valve exhaust
- Manual 4 speed with R/H gear shift
- Independent front suspension
- Semi Elliptocal springs & hydraulic shockers at rear with adjustable Ride control
- This car was ordered and delivered new to the famous English actor Ronald Colman (Oscar winner 1947) for his attendance at the coronation of her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II in June 1953. It was then shipped to Hollywood where it was first registered in Ronald Colman's name. He kept it on his ranch in San Ysidro, California until he died when it was subsequently sold. It had since two more owners in the US and two owners in New Zealand for the last 23 years.
- This car was partly restored, the rear hides are original but the the front hides were renewed and the car was also resprayed.
- It had a reconditioned engine fitted in the USA before the car came to New Zealand in 1992. Further mechanical work to the suspension and the steering system was carried out.
- The car was graced with another film star, Dinah Sheridan, who starred in the movie "Genevieve" where she rode in the car for part of the Auckland to Christchurch Rally 1n 1997.
- For some time this car was exhibited in the Queenstown Motor Museum but was used regularly in recent years.
- HEAPS OF PROVENANCE HERE!!!
- Car is in Mint Condition throughout and drives excellently.
- A gem of a motor car and probably one of the finest examples of a Bentley R type currently available.
- Servicing & Maintenance records available. Serviced in New Zealand by Bentley & Rolls Royce specialists - Bruce McIlroy.
Car will be sold WOF'd and Registered if sold in New Zealand.
TRANSPORT / WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.