1964 Daimler 250 V8
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"When I was looking for a classic car recently, Jesmond was very helpful and attentive, providing me with options that were exactly what I was looking for. I had never met him or been in his showroom but he impressed me with his knowledge and experience in the industry. Jesmond answered all my questions with patience, going above and beyond to ensure I was satisfied with my purchase. Not everyone would buy a car sight unseen from the internet, but I did and it worked out really well. I would definately buy from him again in the future."Anne Gosnell, Cromwell, New Zealand
The Daimler V8 was the result of a lengthy plan to give Daimler a presence in the executive car sector as well as the luxury sector.
The first attempt to bridge this gap was a joint venture with Vauxhall, which would have led to a restyled PA Cresta with a Daimler V8 and trim. The Jaguar buyout of 1960 put paid to this, and in 1962 the 2.5 V8 saloon was created.
The Turner engine gives the whole car a very different, more louche feel than the sporting Jaguars, and as such appealed to different customers when new and on the classic market.
Daimler’s small 2.5 V8, was designed by Edward Turner of Triumph motorbike fame. Inspired in part by the contemporary Cadillac V8, he incorporated many of the design features seen in his motorbike engines; including hemispherical combustion chambers and pushrods, with an overhead valve layout. Developing 140bhp, this engine was also used in the Daimler SP250 sports car – and is the reason the Daimler is seen as a separate entity to the Jaguars. The Daimler engine is generally reliable, and pose no major issues in service.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- Chassis #: 1A5528BW
- Engine #: 7A5894
- Low Ownership
- Low Mileage - Mileage is Genuine at 26024 Miles
- New Zealand New - First registered in Kaitangata, South Otago on the 4th of November 1965
- Its had four owners in total and been mostly parked in one family for 44 years.
- It came out of a deceased estate and was stored in Southland for most of its life in dire conditions.
- We felt it was worth saving, so we purchased this car in 2017, in its original state.
- Paint and everything else on it was still factory, including the wheels.
- Condition at the time was sad, as can be seen from the photos. Registration was left to lapse (Original Black Plates Available and still on it). It was abandoned.
- We got it revinned, serviced, up and running again with the help of Jaguar Specialists John Finlay Motors in Christchurch. We spent quite a bit of money doing this, as one does when restoring cars.
- Work was carried out on steering, brakes, suspension, engine mounts, has new tyres, new radiator, repaired wiring, new lamps, hinges, bulbs, greasing, changed all perishables, new windscreen / door rubbers, all oils were changed, new battery - the list goes on.
- Circa 12 months ago, we removed all / any surface rust, got it mostly stripped down and professionally repainted by Tandem Smash Repairs in Christchurch. Paint job alone was over 15K. Photos of the process can be seen here.
- Engine recently overhauled by Jaguar Specialists Messrs John Finlay Motors in ChCh at 26335miles - circa 1245 miles ago.
- Chrome is very good.
- Note that Speaker at the back is not mounted to anything, so can easily be done away with, if one didn't want it.
- Upholstery is original and in excellent condition. Carpets are good. Hood lining new. Wood in very nice order.
- Car Runs and drives great.
- This is one of those cars that one ends up spending more restoring it, than what its worth. That said, a car with this provenance is always worth saving and we're pleased to have gone through the process. Its now ready for the next 20 years and for the next custodian to home it.
Whilst prices for good Jags spiral ever higher, one can burble along in a Daimler V8 feeling just as pleased about life, but at a fraction of the cost.
The trim level is higher than the MK2, too – when the 240 and 340 received Ambla trim, the Daimler V8-250 was never subjected to such indignities. They might not be as sporting – but let’s be honest, few MK2s are ever really driven in anger any more.
Will be sold WOF'd and Registered if sold in New Zealand.
WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF.
WE ARE OPEN WEEKDAYS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.