1987 Ford Sierra 'RS500' Cosworth
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"Over the last 30 years I have had many exotic cars, but I have only recently become interested in classic cars. This interest led me to Waimak Classic Cars website and subsequent visit to Jesmond and Gloria's premises in Rangiora. Through their honest interest in providing only quality cars at a fair margin, I quickly gained faith and ended up buying three vehicles from them, including the 1934 Bugatti featured on their website. I am a discerning buyer and my confidence that Jesmond and Gloria were fair traders made the experience uniquely enjoyable. I cannot recommend them highly enough."Steve Lockwood, Auckland, New Zealand
Fast Fords have become big business in the classic car market, and this 33-year-old example will undoubtedly be sold for a whopping amount of money.
Values of the Sierra RS500 Cosworth have sky rocketed in recent years, with adoring - and ageing - boy racers looking to get their hands on the extremely limited edition cars, of which just 500 (as the name suggests) were produced in 1987 by Aston Martin Tickford.
This car can be described as ''one of the best ones left' and although Cosworth offered more than enough performance for most customers, the road version was not considered adequate for racing, so a batch of 500 was set aside for the construction of an even more powerful ‘homologation special’: the RS500.
Changes mainly concerned the engine’s induction system, which was upgraded with a bigger turbocharger and an enlarged inter-cooler, while the cylinder block was strengthened. Other components up-rated included the pistons, radiator, and the oil and water pumps.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- This is a genuine item with under 30K miles on the clock - Number 244 - Vin #: GG38832 - despatched 22nd July 1987.
- The RS500 model marked the pinnacle of Ford’s range in the mid-1980s, and was virtually unbeatable in Group A touring car competitions. It was conceived as an even more potent choice for touring car racing. In Group A, it proved devastating, taking 40 outright wins in succession. The RS500 was unstoppable. Nothing could beat it.
- Impressive performance even by today’s standards. In race trim, the rear-wheel drive Sierra could reliably produce 500bhp, but road car versions, of which Ford needed to sell 500, were sensibly pegged to 224bhp. Revisions to the standard Cosworth YB engine were extensive, even if an increase of 20bhp over standard sounds small. A Garrett T31 turbo was installed with a larger intercooler and induction system. Twin fuel injectors in each cylinder, pressurised oil-cooled pistons and larger oil and water pumps helped the reliability and pace of the race car.
- The RS500 was built at the rate of 15 per day. The majority were supplied in black, but white and Moonstone Blue paint finishes were available as an option.
- After hitting a sub-GBP10,000 low in the 1990s, original, low-mileage RS500s have become among the most collectable of all fast Fords. The very best have proved to sell for more than GBP120K (circa NZD232K) nowadays, and even one in average condition will fetch a fortune.
- This car was sold new by Route One Ford in Manchester UK - Service book available - see photos attached.
- It was recently imported from NSW, Australia and had one owner in New Zealand. First registered in New Zealand in April 2019.
- Original Ford Operating manuals, Booklets and Brochures available.
- Various Documentation, Certificates and Servicing Records available on request.
- A very good example of this model - Serious enquiries welcome.
Ford chose the name RS500 to indicate that only 500 of this 1987 evolution of the original RS Cosworth would be built. This is a car that will set your pulses racing. The hugely collectible Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 set the tone for one of the most desirable performance cars of the 1980s.
The Sierra Cosworth RS500 is undoubtedly the hottest of all fast Fords. In recent years the demand for them has sky-rocketed, with auction figures reaching astronomical heights, as the fight for the ones that have avoided the scrapheap has intensified.
If you're after one of these icons, don't delay. This is a serious and appreciating investment. There aren't many to choose from and certainly not with this mileage.
Car will be sold WOF'd and registered if sold in New Zealand.
FINANCE PACKAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST!
TRANSPORT / WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT only
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
At Waimak Classic Cars, our principal interest is to ensure the preservation of classic and vintage vehicles. Please remember that our vehicles are many years old, often with further previous owners. Many have been bought by us recently. We cannot know exactly what repairs or maintenance has been done although we do our best to obtain log books and copies of invoices of work done, when, and by whom.
Our descriptions are based on our own observations and knowledge and we look for the best examples we can find. Indicated mileages are based on the records showing with NZTA and / or the vehicle’s odometer reading. Because of the age of the vehicle, this can never be guaranteed. Our inspections are generally non-invasive. Our description is based on a visual inspection and on information supplied to us by third parties.
Any sale is on the condition that the purchaser relies on his/her own judgment and does not rely on our skill or judgment or on any representation made by us. This applies even if the Buyer has not inspected the vehicle before purchase. We strongly recommend that you have the vehicle inspected by an independent assessor qualified to comment on the particular vehicle’s condition. If you are unable to organise this, then this can be organised on your behalf, at your cost.
We are proud of our reputation. However, no older vehicle can be expected to be as reliable as a new one and so all our vehicles are sold on an as is where is basis. Mechanical breakdowns, electronic failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs are part and parcel of the ownership of classic and vintage vehicles. Reliability is a combination of the particular vehicle, how it has been driven and maintained, and luck.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: As Waimak Classic Cars is NOT a car yard dealer type of operation, we do not operate through fixed opening hours. Viewing is therefore STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY and A FEW DAYS NOTICE is always appreciated, as it is seldom possible for us to accommodate viewing on the same day of inquiry