1987 Ford Sierra 'RS500' Cosworth
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"I recently bought an MGA from Waimak Classic cars and the whole experience from my first visit to view the car and then the process of purchasing it was made easy by Jesmond and Gloria. I totally recommend dealing with Waimak Classic Cars. 10 out of 10."Ray Stark, Hamilton - New Zealand
Fast Fords have become big business in the classic car market, and this 33-year-old example will undoubtedly be sold for a whopping amount of money.
Values of the Sierra RS500 Cosworth have sky rocketed in recent years, with adoring - and ageing - boy racers looking to get their hands on the extremely limited edition cars, of which just 500 (as the name suggests) were produced in 1987 by Aston Martin Tickford.
This car can be described as ''one of the best ones left' and although Cosworth offered more than enough performance for most customers, the road version was not considered adequate for racing, so a batch of 500 was set aside for the construction of an even more powerful ‘homologation special’: the RS500.
Changes mainly concerned the engine’s induction system, which was upgraded with a bigger turbocharger and an enlarged inter-cooler, while the cylinder block was strengthened. Other components up-rated included the pistons, radiator, and the oil and water pumps.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- This is a genuine item with under 30K miles on the clock - Number 244 - Vin #: GG38832 - despatched 22nd July 1987.
- The RS500 model marked the pinnacle of Ford’s range in the mid-1980s, and was virtually unbeatable in Group A touring car competitions. It was conceived as an even more potent choice for touring car racing. In Group A, it proved devastating, taking 40 outright wins in succession. The RS500 was unstoppable. Nothing could beat it.
- Impressive performance even by today’s standards. In race trim, the rear-wheel drive Sierra could reliably produce 500bhp, but road car versions, of which Ford needed to sell 500, were sensibly pegged to 224bhp. Revisions to the standard Cosworth YB engine were extensive, even if an increase of 20bhp over standard sounds small. A Garrett T31 turbo was installed with a larger intercooler and induction system. Twin fuel injectors in each cylinder, pressurised oil-cooled pistons and larger oil and water pumps helped the reliability and pace of the race car.
- The RS500 was built at the rate of 15 per day. The majority were supplied in black, but white and Moonstone Blue paint finishes were available as an option.
- After hitting a sub-GBP10,000 low in the 1990s, original, low-mileage RS500s have become among the most collectable of all fast Fords. The very best have proved to sell for more than GBP120K (circa NZD232K) nowadays, and even one in average condition will fetch a fortune.
- This car was sold new by Route One Ford in Manchester UK - Service book available - see photos attached.
- It was recently imported from NSW, Australia and had one owner in New Zealand. First registered in New Zealand in April 2019.
- Original Ford Operating manuals, Booklets and Brochures available.
- Various Documentation, Certificates and Servicing Records available on request.
- A very good example of this model - Serious enquiries welcome.
Ford chose the name RS500 to indicate that only 500 of this 1987 evolution of the original RS Cosworth would be built. This is a car that will set your pulses racing. The hugely collectible Ford Sierra Cosworth RS500 set the tone for one of the most desirable performance cars of the 1980s.
The Sierra Cosworth RS500 is undoubtedly the hottest of all fast Fords. In recent years the demand for them has sky-rocketed, with auction figures reaching astronomical heights, as the fight for the ones that have avoided the scrapheap has intensified.
If you're after one of these icons, don't delay. This is a serious and appreciating investment. There aren't many to choose from and certainly not with this mileage.
Car will be sold WOF'd and registered if sold in New Zealand.
FINANCE PACKAGES AVAILABLE ON REQUEST!
TRANSPORT / WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
WE ARE OPEN WEEKDAYS BY APPOINTMENT ONLY.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at email@example.com anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.