1984 Daimler 4.2 (Series 3) Vanden Plas
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"Hi Jesmond, I don't know if I told you when we were corresponding that I am member of the South Canterbury Vintage Car Club. Last Saturday the club held one of its more important rallies of the year called the Mid Island Rally. I went in the Austin A55 and was one of about 68 vehicles that went on the run. It had a good showing of vehicles some old model Ts right through the years, the latest one being a 1964 mini. You name the brand of vehicle and it was there. Mine was the only Austin. We had good weather and I understand it was about 180 miles start to finish. It extended from Timaru through to Geraldine and then into a private forest. That was a bit challenging climbing up to the hilltops on roads only made for logging trucks. I was pleased to get back onto tarseal once we were on our way home. As usual I didn't get anywhere in the rally, thats not my luck. Prior to starting off from the Clubrooms they had a Concours display . About a dozen or perhaps eighteen vehicles went in it. I decided to put the A55 in the display. I don't know when the judging took place and we heard nothing until after the placegetters in the actual rally were announced. There was a table of Cups and Certificates being handed out . All went until only one big cup remained. I thought it won't be me because Ive never won one yet and next thing my name came up. I won the 2014 Concours Cup in my class which was (Post War Vintage) Every comment about the A55 on that day was good and she's going well. So there you have it Jesmond,I don't know if any other vehicles you've had have won Concours but now you know at least one has."Bernie Fairbrass, Timaru, New Zealand
The Series 3 models were produced from February 1979.
The main difference from the earlier model was the Pininfarina restyled higher roof line which provided more headroom and a larger glass area.
The front door quarterlights were eliminated as was the vinyl covering to the roof and the rear light clusters were altered. The advanced Lucas-Bosch 'L-Jetronic' electronic fuel injection system was standardised on the 4.2 litre six-cylinder model giving an increased maximum power of 30bhp.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- This Daimler 4.2 Vanden Plas is equipped with the model 66 transmission.
- With the inclusion of several mechanical refinements and better insulation, these cars were very quiet and with their special trim and unique paint colours, the Vanden Plas Daimlers provided exclusivity at the top of the British Leyland model range.
- Comes with servo assisted disc brakes all round with ventilated discs at the front.
- Stainless steel sculptured wheel trims with smooth hubcaps and wrap-around chrome and rubber bumpers plus external door handles were now flush fitting.
- Many of the features offered as 'extras' on other models in the Jaguar/Daimler range were included as standard equipment in the Vanden Plas models. These included fully automatic air-conditioning, tinted glass, chromium waist mouldings and coachline, stereo radio/cassette player with 4 speakers, electric aerial, leather exclusive Vanden Plas style upholstery, front and rear seat headrests, inertia reel rear seatbelts, luxurious nylon rugs to all passenger footwells, Asian burr walnut veneered facia and door fillets, twin front foglights, quartz halogen headlamps, electric remote control for both door mirrors, adjustable reading lights, headlamp wash/wipe and front seat electric adjustment.
- This car also comes with factory sunroof and and a trip computer on the redesigned central console, which was at the time offered as an Extra cost item on the 4.2
- The Vanden Plas models ceased production in Autumn 1983 after 1159 Double-Six and 698 4.2 litre had been made.
- This car is in very good order - beautiful paintwork - straight body - immaculate upholstery and interior. Hoodlining good. Original carpets in very good condition.
- Drives beautifully with working aircon - so comfortable and plush to drive.
- We understand this car to have been an owner import. It was imported and first registered in New Zealand in 1987 - only two years after it was purchased new in the UK.
- Car has had 7 owners from new.
- Various Servicing & Maintenance Records available.
- ABSOLUTELY STUNNING!
For those who are not familiar with Vanden Plas cars, Vanden Plas originated in Belgium, although the name derives from the Dutch, and to be grammatically correct should be expressed Van der Plas. Today most people will connect Vanden Plas with the more up market Austin Rover Products, but in the past they were coach-builders for Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Alvis, Daimler and Lagonda and many more. It is said that up to 1939, no two bodies by Vanden Plas were identical.
This is a rare car, especially in New Zealand. If you love Series 3's, well, you cant get any better than this. Highly collectable and desirable.
TRANSPORT / SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Will be sold WOF’d and Registered if sold in New Zealand.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT only!
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
At Waimak Classic Cars, our principal interest is to ensure the preservation of classic and vintage vehicles. Please remember that our vehicles are many years old, often with further previous owners. Many have been bought by us recently. We cannot know exactly what repairs or maintenance has been done although we do our best to obtain log books and copies of invoices of work done, when, and by whom.
Our descriptions are based on our own observations and knowledge and we look for the best examples we can find. Indicated mileages are based on the records showing with NZTA and / or the vehicle’s odometer reading. Because of the age of the vehicle, this can never be guaranteed. Our inspections are generally non-invasive. Our description is based on a visual inspection and on information supplied to us by third parties.
Any sale is on the condition that the purchaser relies on his/her own judgment and does not rely on our skill or judgment or on any representation made by us. This applies even if the Buyer has not inspected the vehicle before purchase. We strongly recommend that you have the vehicle inspected by an independent assessor qualified to comment on the particular vehicle’s condition. If you are unable to organise this, then this can be organised on your behalf, at your cost.
We are proud of our reputation. However, no older vehicle can be expected to be as reliable as a new one and so all our vehicles are sold on an as is where is basis. Mechanical breakdowns, electronic failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs are part and parcel of the ownership of classic and vintage vehicles. Reliability is a combination of the particular vehicle, how it has been driven and maintained, and luck.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: As Waimak Classic Cars is NOT a car yard dealer type of operation, we do not operate through fixed opening hours. Viewing is therefore STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY and A FEW DAYS NOTICE is always appreciated, as it is seldom possible for us to accommodate viewing on the same day of inquiry