1979 BMW 635CSI
Call Us On
Share With Friends
The 6-Series is a car that delivers looks and quality in spades.
In the right hands, the E24-series 635 represents a high-water mark for BMW, an understated, sophisticated mile-eater.
The BMW 6-Series was a logical evolution of the luxury saloon in range this time, the 7-Series. As before - and just like the larger saloon - the 6-Series had sharp steering, keen dynamics and excellent performance. The styling was less clean, losing its pillarless side windows, but it aged very well during its production run.
Conceived as a grand tourer, the 6-Series was easy to live with, and gratifyingly agile.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- Chassis #: 5550316
- This car has the perfect combinations of colours featuring polaris metallic bodywork with dark blue leather.
- Original Certificate of Registration available along with past Vehicle Sales Agreements, AA inspection checks etc and a multitude of maintenance and servicing records throughout the years.
- Comes with Original BMW handbooks and two sets of keys.
- Only Two Owners in New Zealand - previous for 32 years. Car was an owner import - first owner in New Zealand was the second owner in the UK.
- Low Mileage car - rare to come by.
- Departed factory late 1979 - sold new in /date first registered in the UK 1/1/1980. First registered in new Zealand in 1987
- This shark-nosed 6-Series looks good from the outside, but its pretty impressive inside too. The cabin is truly luxurious, the dashboard is well-stocked with instruments, and build quality is superb. There’s a sportingly low-slung driving position and ergonomics are first-rate, all the controls falling perfectly to hand.
- This car comes with the tough and extremely rare manual five-speed Getrag 265 "dogleg" close ratio gearbox - a most desirable car particularly when so many of the 635's in New Zealand are automatics, often with cloth interiors. The gearbox in this car is very quiet and performs faultlessly.
- Recirculating ball, power assist steering
- Power Disk brakes
- Very nice original interior - no cracks on dash - nothing broken - all there. Genuine leather upholstery.
- Bullet proof motor, good clutch, good mechanicals - well serviced and maintained vehicle - no expense spared.
- Very clean body - at around 1995, rust started showing forward of the front suspension towers. Both front guards were removed and all repairs required were completed.
- Paintwork - car was repainted at some stage before 1995 and save some minuscule imperfections not worth mentioning here like the odd chip etc, paintwork is exceptionally good.
- In 2017, this car got a major tidy up - in the Engine bay, when the cylinder head was removed, the engine bay was very accessible and so every component was removed, replated or repainted.
- Bonnet underside - repainted and sound deadlining, rubber sealing strips and all bolts replaced.
- Undercarriage entirely stripped and repainted - very clean and tidy - no rust anywhere.
- Fuel tank sanded to bare metal and repainted. Fuel system - all steel fuel pipes replaced with copper, all mounting brackets replated and stainless steel screws fitted.
- Rear and front subframe grit blasted and powder coated
- Rear and front suspension - arms, springs and struts sanded to bare metal and repainted
- Rear shocks - new adjustable koni shocks fitted
- Axle shafts and CV joints fully stripped, checked and repacked
- Differential stripped to bare cast steel, repainted with all new seals
- Drive shaft repainted and driveshaft universal "doughnut"replaced
- Gearbox new seals and short travel gear shift fitted
- Clutch relined, flywheel machined, brakes all calipers, master cylinders and power boosters rebuilt (pads and rotors as new) and all steel brake pipes either replaced or replated, all flexible brake pipes replaced, brake booster vacuum hoses replaced etc.
- Engine bottom end work - sump and all front timing covers were bead blasted and all new seals and gaskets fitted. Bores are in an excellent state with barely any lip. No corrosion evident in the cylinder water jacket areas. Cam shaft, rocker shaft and rockers appear to be still like new.
- Exhaust system - all manifold surfaces machined, all new bolts and studs etc.
- Intake system - all components dismantled, polished and replated with new gaskets and nuts.
- Cooling system - radiator removed, pressure tested and repainted, electric fan resistor replaced.
- Air conditioning - all components and pipes removed refurbished, reassembled and system regassed.
- Electrical - these cars are noted for electrical failures as time marches on and so considerable time was spent to track down any faults. As a result, all electrics work (including the green test panel) except for the headlight washer / wiper and the tape player on the original Blaupunkt radio.
- Wiring Loom was painstakingly checked, cleaned and retaped. All relay covers that show in the engine bay were replated. Alternator fully overhauled with new regulator. Starter removed, checked and reassembled. Headlamp mounting housings were powder coated and replated. Windscreem wiper mechanism operating link arms have been replated.
- Door / Boot / Fuel Filler locking - a keyless entry system has been fitted.
- It's a phenomenal car in terms of handling, roadability.
- The Original 14inch BBS wheels have been replaced with period German Remotec 16"units. The Original wheels are with the car (as can be seen in photos) with one having been grit blasted and repainted as the spare.
- This car has a concours winning engine bay and underbody.
This car wants to run, like all BMWs. Its a total joy to drive and hasn't been in the rain since restoration. It surely satisfies my type of driving. If there is one single enemy of the 635 CSi, it's deferred maintenance. As noted above, this car has been religiously maintained and therefore if you're after one of these, this is definitely THE one you should be buying.
Today, and as a classic car, the 6-Series makes a huge amount of sense thanks to its commodious interior and improved reliability and rust resistance. Good examples have started to move in value so the time to buy one is now - especially a low mileage / owner one in this condition.
Car will be sold WOF'd and Registered, if sold in New Zealand.
TRANSPORT / WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.