1968 Jaguar 420
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"My Car has arrived safe and sound; so here's a big 'Thank you' to yourself and Jesmond for making it such an enjoyable experience dealing with you. Your friendliness and expertise made it go so smoothly. I just love the car you've provided.............now the fun begins.""Bob Ward, Auckland, New Zealand
The Jaguar 420 - one of Browns Lane’s best, yet too often ignored!
There are two ways of regarding the Jaguar 420. One is to faintly dismiss it as a modified version of the S-Type that was introduced 60 years ago in order to provide an extra model in the years prior to the launch of the XJ6.
The other view, one that has increasingly gained support over the last decade, is that here is possibly the ultimate, of the compact Jaguar range that dated back to the original 2.4 saloon in 1955.
I opt for the latter view myself, as the 420 combines nearly all attributes necessary for a truly great Browns Lane car of the 1960s – down to the separate starter button.
To look at the side profile of the 420 is to see how closely it is related to the Mk2 but also owes an allegiance to the 1961 MkX. This was an undeniably magnificent car – it remains possibly the nearest Jaguar ever came to building a four-door E-Type.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- NZ NEW
- Low Mileage car
- Four Owners from new (first 42 years / second 6 years / third 1 year / fourth, 2 years)
- Original Certificate Of Registration Available - sold new in Wellington
- Matching Numbers Car
- Four Speed Manual / Overdrive
- Most elegant in beautiful white paintwork and sumptuous red leather interior in excellent condition with brand new red carpets, hood lining and wind lace. Upholstery and door cards in excellent condition, as can be seen from photos. Wood in good condition.
- Chrome in very good condition
- Comes with the correct 4.2ltr, 6 cylinder engine fitted with factory 2"SU carburetors giving a factory rated 245hp, second only to the E Type.
- Fitted with factory Marles power steering (the last development of the type fitted to the compact Jaguars)
- Fitted with period appropriate Radiomobile Radio
- Very Good tyres all round with beautiful chrome plated steel caps.
- Recent work include Tuning, cleaned carburetors, new brake booster, full overhaul of rear brakes, new rear disk pads, rebuilt calipers, reconditioned master cylinder, new brake hoses, new coolant hoses, rebuilt clutch hydraulics, replaced windscreen rubbers, replaced door rubbers in most areas and other general touch ups.
- Spare wheel, factory tool kit and jack come with car.
- Good healthy motor - runs sweet and car drives like a dream.
- Still on original black plates
Production ceased in late ‘68 when it was replaced by the XJ6 and Jaguar also ceased building the 340 and the S-type at this time.
For rather too long the 420 was perceived by so called self styled experts within sectors of the classic community as ‘stop gap models’ but this was to sorely undervalue one of the finest – and important – of Jaguar’s post-war compact saloons.
The Jaguar 420 was the final incarnation of Jaguars amazingly successful medium-sized saloon line that had commenced way back in 1955 with the MkI.
This is a truly awesome Jaguar to own. It possesses superior handling and greater range than the Mk2. For many years, the 420 remained undervalued but the times they are a changing and people are finally starting to see the beauty and potential of these cars. A historic classic saloon at a great price.
Will be sold WOF'd and Registered.
TRANSPORT / SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is BY APPOINTMENT only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
At Waimak Classic Cars, our principal interest is to ensure the preservation of classic and vintage vehicles. Please remember that our vehicles are many years old, often with further previous owners. Many have been bought by us recently. We cannot know exactly what repairs or maintenance has been done although we do our best to obtain log books and copies of invoices of work done, when, and by whom.
Our descriptions are based on our own observations and knowledge and we look for the best examples we can find. Indicated mileages are based on the records showing with NZTA and / or the vehicle’s odometer reading. Because of the age of the vehicle, this can never be guaranteed. Our inspections are generally non-invasive. Our description is based on a visual inspection and on information supplied to us by third parties.
Any sale is on the condition that the purchaser relies on his/her own judgment and does not rely on our skill or judgment or on any representation made by us. This applies even if the Buyer has not inspected the vehicle before purchase. We strongly recommend that you have the vehicle inspected by an independent assessor qualified to comment on the particular vehicle’s condition. If you are unable to organise this, then this can be organised on your behalf, at your cost.
We are proud of our reputation. However, no older vehicle can be expected to be as reliable as a new one and so all our vehicles are sold on an as is where is basis. Mechanical breakdowns, electronic failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs are part and parcel of the ownership of classic and vintage vehicles. Reliability is a combination of the particular vehicle, how it has been driven and maintained, and luck.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: As Waimak Classic Cars is NOT a car yard dealer type of operation, we do not operate through fixed opening hours. Viewing is therefore STRICTLY BY APPOINTMENT ONLY and A FEW DAYS NOTICE is always appreciated, as it is seldom possible for us to accommodate viewing on the same day of inquiry