1968 Jaguar 420
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"I have owned & run quite a number of classic performance cars over the years - and this time I brought a really nice little Ferrari from Jesmond As I brought the car un-seen I needed to totally trust Jesmond & his company if we were going to do business on an older Ferrari. I was not disappointed - he is NO second-hand car dealer - more a collector. Every aspect regarding buying an older performance motorcar of this type was covered professionally and in a timely manner. Not one of my questions and many requests were forgotten through-out the process of perhaps buying the proposed Ferrari. The car was just as he had described and he even paid for the inspection at his own cost. Not an issue. I must say I couldn't have been more pleased with this company and even when the transaction was well & truly finished. Jesmond's team followed-up more than a couple of times to make sure I was 100% happy with my new car and if I had any questions in regards to on-going ownership. A very good experience here. Great stuff guys!"Matthew Sollis, Waiheke Island - New Zealand
The Jaguar 420 - one of Browns Lane’s best, yet too often ignored!
There are two ways of regarding the Jaguar 420. One is to faintly dismiss it as a modified version of the S-Type that was introduced 60 years ago in order to provide an extra model in the years prior to the launch of the XJ6.
The other view, one that has increasingly gained support over the last decade, is that here is possibly the ultimate, of the compact Jaguar range that dated back to the original 2.4 saloon in 1955.
I opt for the latter view myself, as the 420 combines nearly all attributes necessary for a truly great Browns Lane car of the 1960s – down to the separate starter button.
To look at the side profile of the 420 is to see how closely it is related to the Mk2 but also owes an allegiance to the 1961 MkX. This was an undeniably magnificent car – it remains possibly the nearest Jaguar ever came to building a four-door E-Type.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- NZ NEW
- Low Mileage car
- Four Owners from new (first 42 years / second 6 years / third 1 year / fourth, 2 years)
- Original Certificate Of Registration Available - sold new in Wellington
- Matching Numbers Car
- Four Speed Manual / Overdrive
- Most elegant in beautiful white paintwork and sumptuous red leather interior in excellent condition with brand new red carpets, hood lining and wind lace. Upholstery and door cards in excellent condition, as can be seen from photos. Wood in good condition.
- Chrome in very good condition
- Comes with the correct 4.2ltr, 6 cylinder engine fitted with factory 2"SU carburetors giving a factory rated 245hp, second only to the E Type.
- Fitted with factory Marles power steering (the last development of the type fitted to the compact Jaguars)
- Fitted with period appropriate Radiomobile Radio
- Very Good tyres all round with beautiful chrome plated steel caps.
- Recent work include Tuning, cleaned carburetors, new brake booster, full overhaul of rear brakes, new rear disk pads, rebuilt calipers, reconditioned master cylinder, new brake hoses, new coolant hoses, rebuilt clutch hydraulics, replaced windscreen rubbers, replaced door rubbers in most areas and other general touch ups.
- Spare wheel, factory tool kit and jack come with car.
- Good healthy motor - runs sweet and car drives like a dream.
- Still on original black plates
Production ceased in late ‘68 when it was replaced by the XJ6 and Jaguar also ceased building the 340 and the S-type at this time.
For rather too long the 420 was perceived by so called self styled experts within sectors of the classic community as ‘stop gap models’ but this was to sorely undervalue one of the finest – and important – of Jaguar’s post-war compact saloons.
The Jaguar 420 was the final incarnation of Jaguars amazingly successful medium-sized saloon line that had commenced way back in 1955 with the MkI.
This is a truly awesome Jaguar to own. It possesses superior handling and greater range than the Mk2. For many years, the 420 remained undervalued but the times they are a changing and people are finally starting to see the beauty and potential of these cars. A historic classic saloon at a great price.
Will be sold WOF'd and Registered.
TRANSPORT / SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is BY APPOINTMENT only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at email@example.com anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.