1964 Jaguar E Type Series 1 Roadster
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"I have had a yearning to purchase a vintage or classic car for a number of years and have read Classic Car magazines and trolled internet auction sites until I came to the Waimak Classic Cars Web site. There was a certain classic car listed that was very close to marque and vintage of my first car I ever owned. It was early 50s English favourite. I contacted Jesmond by email as an initial inquiry and he responded promptly and gave me background of the vehicle in addition to what was described on the web site. Obviously an inspection was vital. With then roading problems between Marlborough and Canterbury a convenient time to visit Waimak was agreed given we decided to include a family visit to CHCH to coincide Jesmond was extremely flexible and agreed to meet us in Rangiora to take us to his display site. It certainly was a pleasure to meet both Jesmond and Gloria and it was clear from the outset we were dealing with very good honest and genuine people. We did not purchase the vehicle of initial choice. Whilst a lovely car heart was not where the head was. It just would not fit in my garages! After inspecting and admiring many fine examples we fell in love with a rare for NZ near finished restored 1947 Rover P2. The purchase including a service plus up to date warrant and registration was completed and Gloria arranged the transport of the vehicle to us here in Blenheim. I could not fault the professionalism coupled with warm friendly attitude of both Jesmond and Gloria and strongly commend them to anyone seeking a purchase and or sale of their classic car. Post purchase communication and advice was excellent."Mike & Barbara, Blenheim, Marlborough, New Zealand
The E-type has consistently been rated by pollsters, motoring journalists and even your grandmother, as one of, if not the most, beautiful cars of all time.
Enzo Ferrari himself said as much, a huge compliment when you consider that the E-type was in direct competition to his cars.
Not only is it staggeringly beautiful, but also surprisingly practical. There really is an E-type for every person and every occasion.
For the purist, an early 3.8-litre roadster like this one will be top of the wish list.
ABOUT THIS CAR
- Matching Numbers Car and this is important, especially with early Series 1 cars.
- This car was manufactured on the 10th of June 1963 and sold new in New York by Jaguar cars New York in 1964. It was dispatched on the 26th of June 1963. Chassis 879603 / Engine RA2413 - 9 / Body Number R6349 / Gearbox EB10586JS - Jaguar Heritage Certificate Available.
- This car had a couple of important upgrades...as follows: Brakes. The car has been fitted with Coopercraft disc brakes which improves the braking performance. Cooling. The car has been fitted with a polished aluminium radiator with an integrated thermostatically controlled electric fan. (Note that original radiator and original fan are available and come with the car). Similar upgrades are offered by the Jaguar restoration facility in Coventry. All / any replacement parts on this car are of top quality and it comes with a comprehensive history file that details all work carried out on the car.
- The engine is smooth with no unduly noises.
- Oil pressure sits on idle where it should be around the 40psi mark.
- The 3.8 ltr engine revs so much nicer than the 4.2 motor and this car is fitted with the four-speed manual Moss gearbox, which is in perfect working order.
- Perfect Colour Combo - British Racing Green with Tan Leather on Wire wheels - doesn't come any better than that.
- Five Wire wheels, Thor Hammer, Jack and Driver's Manual.
- Restoration took place in the 90's and save maybe 9- 10 hard to find stone chips around the car, its still pretty much Mint.
- This car was completely stripped, had new sills and door skins fitted, new floors fitted, new upholstery kit imported from UK including dashboard, carpets, seats, aluminium center pieces restored etc - (there is a photographic record of the rebuild).
- New wiring loom.
- Rubbers are like new.
- Chrome is like new - this was all redone.
- All suspension , bolts etc zinced.
- Engine had been bored in the USA at circa 76K Miles but new rings, bearings and clutch were fitted in the mid 90's. Odometer is now reading under 94K Miles.
- Gearbox was completely overhauled - Motor and clutch were balanced / starter motor and generator overhauled / Brakes overhauled / new wheel cylinders and master cylinders were fitted.
- Diff was dismantled and new seals were fitted
- Comes with heat shield over manifold (not currently fitted)
- New rear stainless steel mufflers and exhaust pipes back to front mufflers were fitted.
- Soft top and tonneau like new.
- Clean, straight body and Beautiful paintwork.
- Only 3 owners in NZ - last owner for 20 years.
- Also worth mentioning that this vehicle has previously been a concours winner at the NZ Jaguar Car club national meet. It was first in class (there is a certificate in the folder) and 2nd overall out of 70 E-Types at a National concours at Queenstown.
Watch out for cars that seem too cheap or too good to be true. Expensive cars are that way for good reasons, and cheap cars likewise. Buy the best you can afford and only buy if you can afford the best.
To put value in perspective, it’s what’s under the skin that’s important. There are lots of cars out there that have had a cosmetic job and make look beautiful but have not had the attention to detail that’s gone into this restoration. The documentation shows it all. Since then, it has always been garaged and only used in the dry. It has done minimal mileage and had had upgraded disc brakes and upgraded cooling system.
This car was not a restoration project. It was the best E-Type that could be found at the time and was then totally rebuilt by a perfectionist with a total body off nut and bolt restoration. They don’t come much better than this unless they are a show car that is never driven on the roads. However, half the pleasure of ownership is using the car. This one drives beautifully.
The restoration is documented at 95k in the late 90’s with a labour rate of just $20 per hr. A restoration today would undoubtedly cost at least three times that in addition to the cost of the vehicle.
This is a classic that will only rise in value – a very good and driveable investment for the near future.
A good example like this one will provide years of motoring Nirvana.
Car will be sold WOF'd and Registered if sold in New Zealand.
TRANSPORT / WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF AT BUYERS COST.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT only.
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at firstname.lastname@example.org anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.