2000 Daimler Super V8
Call Us On
Share With Friends
"A short note of appreciation for the manner, knowledge and quiet enthusiasm you showed towards ourselves when deciding to sell our old '64' Classic Car. Your approach is one of confidence within the Classic Car Industry plus the bonus of nationwide and global contacts helped attain a very rewarding outcome for ourselves. We have no hesitation in recommending your services to other people."Margaret & Miles Jacob, Christchurch, New Zealand
Built between 1997 and 2003, the Daimler Super Eight is essentially a rebadged Jaguar XJ8 but that’s okay because the X308 chassis is an absolute better.
Out went the straight-six and V12 engines we’d grown to know and love and in came the all-new 4.0-litre AJ-V8 engine mated to a five-speed automatic gearbox.
The styling was a development of the traditional XJ three-box shape, albeit brought bang up-to-date. This meant the return of four round headlamps set under cowls into a wonderfully low bonnet plus the low roof line, wrap-around rear lights and the long, sloping boot lid that give these Daimlers their distinctive profile.
The interior followed the exterior in ditching the outgoing XJ40’s design, too. Three, deep-dish dials ape the design of headlamps, and the passenger once again has access to a glove box, something that had (bizarrely) disappeared during Jaguar’s barren XJ40 years.
This car is powered by a 4.0-litre supercharged version, that deploys a whopping 370bhp to the rear wheels.
That supercharged engine propels the Daimler to an electronically limited top speed of 155mph after passing 60mph in 5.6 seconds – and while it is true that the automatic gearbox and absence of a limited-slip differential means the cars are more cossetting grand tourers than sharp-edged sports cars, there are few nicer and more luxurious ways to experience warp-speed mid-range acceleration.
Jeremy Clarkson once said that the X308 is "faster, in the real world, than a Ferrari F355... [the] fastest saloon I've ever seen.”
Just 2,387 with the executive-spec long-wheelbase were built. This makes them a much more interesting alternative to the more usual German suspects, but only if you buy the right one, which is where this example comes in…
ABOUT THIS CAR
- NZ NEW - One Owner - Good Provenance!
- This wonderful Daimler Super Eight benefits from the supercharged engine in the long-wheelbase chassis, a combination that endows it with other-worldly speed allied to the sort of luxury that few of us will have experienced in our automotive past.
- Finished in a glorious red with a cream leather interior, the Daimler’s bodywork says only good things about the life it has lived. With straight flanks, very good alignment, and tight shut lines it still whispers reassurance. Aside from the usual odd stone chip and minor marks, there are no blemishes.
- Barely adorned – let’s face it, a shape this gorgeous doesn’t really need embellishment – the 17-inch alloy wheels are the only thing that even slightly hints at bling.
- All tires have good tread.
- As befits a car of the Daimler’s status, all four leather seats are heated with the front ones being electrically adjustable. Cream with a dark brown piping, the headrests are embossed with the Daimler script. The rear seats also have a pair of fold-down picnic tables. They’re in great shape, as is the rest of the extensive wood trim throughout the cabin. The door cards are fitted with high-end Harman/Kardon speakers, too. The carpets are still in great shape and they’re protected with Daimler-branded lambs’-wool overmats, whose depth of pile can be measured in inches rather than millimeters.
- The engine bay is very clean and is home to the toolkit, which looks to be unused.
- The underside looks to be strong and clean.
- We have owned this car for many years now. During this time, we have kept her well maintained. Servicing up to date.
The Daimler Super Eight did a brilliant job of balancing the need to bring the company into the 21st century while acknowledging the firm’s rich 20th century heritage. It’s modern and funky and yet dodges the sort of crass faux retro design that plagues modern interpretations of classic designs.
It’s also incredibly fast, handles very well, and was one of the world’s most luxurious cars at the time. It’s more reliable than you might think too, especially when it’s serviced by folk who know and understand it.
This is a rare car, especially in New Zealand and lucky new owner of this delightful slice of Middle England will be able to waft around knowing they’ve beaten the system in something British and sensible.
Will be sold WOF'd and Registered if sold in New Zealand.
WORLDWIDE SHIPPING CAN BE ORGANISED ON THIS VEHICLE ON BUYER'S BEHALF.
Viewing is STRICTLY BY PRIOR APPOINTMENT only
Invest In Your Own Classic Car Fund!Take Control of your Money Now!
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE
DISCLAIMER (Please Read)
NOTIFICATION AS TO NATURE OF GOODS IN TERMS OF THE CONSUMER GUARANTEES ACT 1993
Waimak Classic Cars accepts that the vehicle being sold must be of “acceptable quality” in terms of section 7 of the Consumer Guarantees Act 1993 (the Act) having regard to “the nature of the goods”.
Waimak Classic Cars is not aware of any specific defects with the vehicle, however (a) such a vehicle being a classic vehicle may have mechanical breakdowns, electrical failures at inconvenient times and maintenance costs being part of and parcel of ownership of a classic car; (b) reliability is a combination of the particular nature of the classic vehicle, how it is being driven, how it has been maintained, and to a certain extent luck.
The Purchaser acknowledges that the vehicle is being sold as a classic car; that in terms of the Act and the nature of the goods, the vehicle, is an old car that may have faults, unlike a modern motor vehicle.
The Purchaser is encouraged to personally fully inspect the vehicle and/or to have the vehicle inspected, fully assessed and maintained by an experienced classic car mechanic.
The Purchaser acknowledges that they have read and fully understand this notification and the nature of a car which is many years old.
For more information about this vehicle, please contact us Monday to Friday between 9:00am and 6:00pm (New Zealand Standard Time) on +64 (0) 3 310-6485 / +64 (0) 274 990-020. Alternatively, you may email us at email@example.com anytime.
PLEASE NOTE: Waimak Classic Cars is Not a car yard dealer type of operation. As a result, we do not operate through fixed opening hours and viewing is By Appointment Only.